quarta-feira, abril 18

Something I love about Brazil

I love that I understand what is in my food (for the most part). In the states I hate buying anything in a can, box or sealed and almost always opt for making it on my own. I read labels, all the time (a terrible and awesome habit I picked up from my high school/college sweetheart) and I won't even think about buying things if I don't understand one of the first ingredients and I refuse to buy it if theres all  those crazy colorants and "artificial flavor" this and that. I really do try to lead a healthy lifestyle (with regards to foods) and by healthy I mean as few chemically altered and processed things as possible.

This is where Brazil rules.

I can grab almost any yogurt on the shelf and I understand EVERY ingredient. Butter is CREAM and SALT and cookies are normally just, well, sugar, flour and chocolateeeee! I love this. And High Fructose Corn Syrup?? Noone even knows what I'm talking about. Coca-Cola says SUGAR. Cereal says SUGAR. Things here are sweetened with SUGAR! Wow, who woulda thought!?

I was at the store today and saw a new Nestle brand yogurt with "cereals." I decided to check it out and it's really just fruit pulp, natural yogurt, and all sorts of grains. I understand every single thing on the label from the first ingredient to the last. Result? I bought it and daaayyyuuum it's yummy.
I love that I live in a culture that FOR REAL takes seriously eating naturally. Açaí shakes are available on almost every corner (from LOCALLY PICKED AÇAI TREES) made with milk from local cows and with all sorts of other yummy Amazon fruits and such. The only thing that isn't Amazon friendly is probably the peanuts that go in the shake, but I'm not sure if they are all imported or not. I have never heard of anyone growing peanuts nearby.


Lastly, I love that I live in a place in which the government incentivizes planting trees. You can get tree saplings (is that the right word? like, baby trees?) for FREE every WEEK! All sorts of local trees, including Açaí, palm trees and other LARGE fruit trees. We're trying to figure out where we want to plant some in our yard, even though we already have a ton of trees. You can never have too many!

3 comentários:

  1. I am a big label reader too. But here in Sao Paulo, you cannot get Acai on every corner - BUMMER! You only get the prepackaged, heavily sweetened stuff. But at least when we go to Rio we can indulge.

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. It's so nice being so close to the source of so many delicious things. Have you ever had cupuaçú? There's so much of it here it's practically free. You go to someone's farm "PLEASE TAKE SOME CUPUAÇÚ WITH YOUUUUUU! PLEAAASSEEEE! AND SOME ORANGES, TOO!!!" It's a great life. However, I would enjoy being near an art museum or a concert hall.... and have more music selections than sertaneja e sertaneja e mais sertaneja...

      Excluir
  2. Este comentário foi removido pelo autor.

    ResponderExcluir